It has almost been a year since I started my first bullet journal. While I don’t use mine as routinely as most bullet journal users, I have some tips on how to start a bullet journal. I also included some of my favourite spreads from the past year. 🤩
- Find a purpose for your journal.
- I decided one day not to buy agendas anymore. Instead, I bought my first moleskine. I don’t find it hard to keep up with my journal because I use it everyday and it’s a part of my routine like brushing my teeth!
- Google for inspiration.
- Being not creative “enough” should not be an excuse that keeps you from starting a bullet journal! I often google for ideas and customize the spreads to my liking. Once I tried out a couple spreads, I started to figure out the best format for me and what I absolutely needed in my planner.
- Don’t be afraid to try new things and mess up.
- Someone once said to me that they couldn’t start a bullet journal because they would get too stressed and scared about messing up. I think messing up is inevitable. I often write the wrong weekdays on my monthly spread and miss dates in my weekly spreads. But as time goes on, you will make fewer mistakes. Practice makes perfect!
- Don’t miss a day. Plan ahead, like WAY ahead if needed.
- If you know the next few months will be jam-packed, make all your entries in one or two sittings. When school is in session, I draw out the spreads every 3 months. This way I can plan ahead and not have to worry about my bullet journal.
- Enjoy the process.
- Enjoy the freedom and creative process of bullet journaling. I assure you when you are half a year in, a full year in, one journal finished in, you will look back and be proud of your work!!
Good luck and happy bullet journaling! 🤘